Saturday, May 31, 2014

Community

The time has come!  I can make my teeny little announcement that probably isn't important to any one but me, but so be it.  I've been evasive about what I've been up to, but I didn't want to say anything until I was in a position to say something.  Now I can...

I applied for a volunteer position last month with the Niagara Victim Services.  As stated this is a volunteer position that I want to do over and above my full time job as a funeral director.  At this point in my life this is something I'm yearning to do for my own personal growth.  This has nothing to do with the well being of my family or my mortgage payments or life style.  This has to do solely with me.  Gage is finding it hard to understand why I would want to work for free but I'm hoping one day when he's older, he'll get it.

Since my interview, reference check and police background check I've now been invited to be part of the team here in Niagara.  Now I'll have about 40 hours of e-learning and about 40 hours of in-class training ahead of me before I start this journey.  I'm genuinely excited to take on this new challenge and learn new skills.  I believe this position can help me be a better funeral director and person and I believe the skills I already have will help me in this new role.

The goal of victim services is to assist emergency personnel in providing short-term emotional support and practical assistance to victims of crime, tragic circumstance and disaster.

I know it sounds cliché, but I'm really looking forward to helping those that need it, however short my period in their life will be, and growing as a person.  Thanks for all your positive vibes and well wishes.  Here's to new beginnings!

No comments:

Post a Comment