Sunday, June 16, 2013

Recognition

I don't need a special day on the calendar to remember my dad and how good he was to all of us kids.  I don't need Hallmark to remind me to smile or laugh out loud from time to time at my memories of him.  I have enough of those moments to sustain me until my own dying days.  He lives on in each one of us and I see glimpses of him each day and every time I'm with my siblings.  That's as good as it's going to be from here on out and I'm dealing with that knowledge better and better each day.

But I will say this (as cliche as it is), being a parent is a thankless job and sometimes it becomes too late to truly express your feelings and gratitude towards the people who gave you life, both literally and figuratively.  I have no regrets with my own father.  He knew how I felt.  But if you are one of those people who doesn't say it enough to either of your parents, start.  Pick up the phone, pop by on a quiet afternoon, send a letter, a text, an email.  I understand that life gets in the way from time to time and there are days you just can't bear to talk on the phone or go anywhere, but try.  From time to time, just try.  There are a lot of kids out there being neglected and left to raise themselves, be thankful you aren't one of them.

And if your spouse deserves some recognition, give it to them.  It's hard being a parent all by oneself so appreciate the commitment from another, if there is one.  So on this day and every day, to all the hands on parents...

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment