Sunday, May 12, 2013

For Mom

I think every lucky person says the same thing about their mom.  She's the best in the whole world, blah, blah, blah.  I guess it's a good thing that these children found these specific mothers or there would be a lot of confused and unhappy people.  I mean, every mother can't be the best right?  Well sure we can!  We're the best in the eyes of certain, individual people (our kids) and frankly those are the only people whose opinions matter to each of us (mothers), no?

So I'll be the millionth person today to sing the graces of the woman who is my mother.  I have been relatively blessed with a decent relationship overall with the woman who gave me life.  I won't lie, I gave her a run for her money as thanks for housing me in her womb for nine months.  It even started at my actual birth (probably should have been a good indicator of things to come)!  I think we had a little love/hate relationship through my teen years, but I like to think my behavior kept her on her toes and her wits about her.  Besides, my brother was too easy to raise, someone had to come along and screw up that harmony.  Yin and yang of sorts.  And I was really looking out for my sister, paving the way to easier teen years for her.  Must be the middle child syndrome at its finest.  

Anyway, back to my mom (cause it's her day).  My mother wasn't a pushover (that was more my dad's role) and sometimes that burned my butt.  However, she really has been there for me, even at the most inconvenient of times.   She's had my back, challenged me, encouraged me, questioned my motives, kept me honest, supported me, cheered me on, came to my aid when I called, cried with me, laughed with me, leaned on me, and stood strong for me.  Most importantly as much as she is a pretty rad Mother, the best part about her has to be how awesome she has been as a Grandma.   I'm so lucky my kids have a great relationship with her as well.

So to my mom, who has been away on vacation this week and wasn't home today for me to wish her a Happy Mother's Dad vocally, thank you.   Thank you for all you have done for our family and for the newer additions to our family.  You have been a wonderful role model, imperfections and all!  We are a group of well rounded adults because of the lessons and life skills you have taught us.  I'll even forgive you for the not so nice stuff I've inherited from you like IBS, soft and peeling nails, stretch marks, and visible cellulite.  But an extra special thanks for the freckles and red undertones in my hair!

You're the best (to me)!  Love you so very much.      


No comments:

Post a Comment