Thursday, July 19, 2012

Yummy in My Tummy!

Today I walked into my office to find a lovely basket of the freshest, sweetest smelling peaches I've seen in an uber long time.  I was puzzled because when I left work yesterday I did not leave any peaches on my desk, but lo and behold here they sat!  I'm kinda digging the food fairies.  Turns out they are a gift from a family I took care of in January.  The gentleman who died tragically ran a hobby farm and while his brothers are cleaning it out to ready it to sell, the fruits of his labour are coming to harvest.  It was so kind of them to think of me (of all people) and go out of their way to bring me some.  I decided since I had this extra ingrediant lying around I'd make some peach cobbler.  But not before making some crustless broccoli and cheese quiche and some crispy balsamic brussel sprouts and carrots.  It was a delicious and seasonal meal, since I used all Ontario fruits and veggies! But the best part was capping it off with some fresh, sweet, Ontario peach cobbler.   Here are the recipes if you are so inclined to try them.  I never post recipes unless they're amazing. 

Crustless Broccoli and  Cheddar Quiche
Ingredients

Butter, for pan
Salt
2 cups broccoli florets
6 large eggs
1/2 cup half-and-half
Ground pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a square glass or corningware pan and set aside. Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Add broccoli; cook 1 minute. Drain well and chop coarsely.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, half-and-half, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and nutmeg. Stir in broccoli and cheese.
  3. Pour broccoli mixture into pan. Bake until golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes. Serve with crusty bread and a mixed-green salad, if desired.


Crispy Balsamic Brussel Sprouts and Carrots
Ingrediants

1/2 pound Brussel Sprouts
3 Carrots
2 tbsp of Balsamic Vinegar
2 tbsp of Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
 
Preheat the oven to 400 and line a cookie sheet with tinfoil.
 
Cut the brussel sprouts in half and and slice carrot into chunks.  Toss all the ingrediants into a bowl ensuring everything is adequately covered.  Spread onto the cookie sheet and place in over.  Bake for 30 minutes making sure you flip them at least twice to avoid burning. 
 
 
Peach Cobbler
Ingrediants
 
1 cup of Bisquick
1 cup of Milk
1/2 tsp of nutmeg
1/2 cup of melted butter or margarine
1 cup of sugar
3 cups of fresh sliced peaches
 
Heat oven to 375.  Mix dry ingrediants with milk and add melted margarine.  Once combined, pour into ungreased corningwear dish (Square or round).  Blend peach slices with sugar (adjust sugar if your peaches are already really sweet) and pour on top of batter.

Bake for 40 - 50 minutes until golden brown.  Serve warm with vanilla ice cream!  Yet another reason to love summer. 

Bon Appetite!
 
 
 
 
 

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipes! Definitely going to try some of them, will let you know how it goes!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not good at cooking so I looking for leftovers?
    Dave @ http://GiveItAThought.com :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm. I haven't had a homemade peach cobbler since my mom passed (which has been a really long time.). I might have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! It was awesome. You can use canned peaches as well in the off season.

      Delete
  4. Trying these:))thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brussel Sprouts?? Seriously? Obviously not all your father's lessons stuck with you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? I had them this past Christmas broiled with balsamic vinegar and olive oil and they were actually really great. Not mushy at all! Which is exactly how I remember them since they were always boiled (which is still repulsive to me). Broiled or baked in the oven seems to be the way to stomach them. They were quite good. And Roan and Gage loved them, so that's what's really important.

      Delete