Saturday, March 17, 2012

Look What I Made

Whoa, it just dawned on me that I was crafty way back in December before I discovered Pinterest!  I had the brilliant idea to reproduce something I had seen in a catalogue that was selling for $40.00.  First I thought, no way would I spend 40 bones on that but then I immediately thought, damn, Eric and I combined can make that no problem!  Foreshadowing?  I think so!

So I decided to make Eric's nephew (or rather his parents) an art display board for all the future masterpieces Felix will be making.  Off the top of my head I think the whole thing cost us $18-20.  I think that's mainly because we just went and bought the pre-cut wood board and then the actual paperclips cost almost $10.00 because I couldn't just get plain silver ones.    I'm pretty sure if I'd given it more thought and hadn't left it until the last minute we could have used reclaimed wood or re-used a previous sign and then it would have been maybe 10 bucks to create. 

Instead of painting it like the original piece, we chose to wood burn the phrase "Look What I Made".  Eric is into that and since we were both contributing we felt that was more appropriate but you could use a stencil or hand paint the same thing.  We then applied a stain over it and attached the clips at the bottom. 

No clue if Eric's brother and sister in law like it or not, or if they've put it up and are using it, but I thought it was a pretty good first time attempt at a craft.  I look at it now  and I can think of a million other things I could have done or added to it, but like I said, it was my first attempt at a craft in uhm, ever.  Therefore,  I'm going to cut myself some slack.  I can only go up from here right?

No comments:

Post a Comment