Monday, November 21, 2011

A Chip of the Ol' Block (x 2)!

What goes around, comes around.
History repeats itself.
Turn about is fair play.
Life has a way of coming full circle.

All those sayings we've heard plenty of times in our lives.  And they have frequently been proven too true in many cases.  Yesterday seemed to be a day spent having those sayings tossed in my face.  My mother always said I'd end up with a child just like me.  And I would rue the day.... Seems I have ended up with two children just like me.  All I can hear in my head right now is the Count from Sesame Street counting my children and then cackling in his creepy little broken laugh.  

When I was a young lass (somewhere around the age of 10), my mom took me to the States with her to do some Christmas shopping.  While we were there she picked up quite a large amount of my brother's Christmas presents.  Later after I got home, I went snooping in the known hiding spot (parents closet) to see what they had gotten little old me for Christmas.  I can't remember now what they were but I'm sure I was smitten at the time.  And excited.  Not nearly as excited as I would be on Christmas morning I later found out (knowing ahead of time what you got is zero fun on the actual day!  Who'd have thunk?).  So excited in fact that I was positive my brother would be excited when I told him what he was getting for Christmas too!!  Wrong.  He was bummed and told my mom that I had told him everything she bought for him on our shopping trip.  Needless to say I had to endure the worst lecture of disappointment ever.  So much so, that it's one of the lectures from my mom that I actually remember. 

So (back to the present tense...), after the eye opener earlier in the evening with Gage (of which I'm feeling mildly better about after having two conversations with him last night and probably more each day),  Eric and I made the trek out around 9 to grab some groceries.  When we got home, I asked Roan if he'd gone snooping for his Christmas presents and he assured me he had not.  Little bugger even looked me in the eye (though not overly convincingly) and promised me that he hadn't.  BUT, we all know that parents have ways of finding out these things don't we??  When I went upstairs, it was clear that he in fact had been snooping around and now the kid has gone up and ruined Christmas for himself.  So called out on his lie, I proceeded to give him the exact same lecture my mother had given me when I had gone up and ruined Christmas for not only myself, but for my brother as well.  Verbatim.  By the time I was done, he had responded pretty much the same way I  had.  With tears and guilt. 

I'm about ready to be done with the lectures for a while.  Two in one day is enough thanks!  I want my little angels back.

No comments:

Post a Comment