Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A Gold for my Golden Boy

Last Monday was just, yet again, another day I wish my dad was here.

Not sure what prompted him, but this year Gage decided to try out for Track at school.   It turns out he is quite good at it.  Good enough that he managed to place in the City-wide competition and move on to Regionals. 

He placed in 100m and 200m.  We should have been able to include Relay in that list as well, but their team got disqualified after one of the runners foot went out of their lane briefly. 

I was fortunate enough to be able to take the day off from work and go with him to the Regionals to watch him race.  The deal was that he had to place in the first heat for each race and then if successful he would move on to the final race.  There were 5 sets of 8 for the 100m race and 4 sets of 8 for the 200m.  All of the first place winners were guaranteed spots in the final race and then the rest to qualify were based on actual times.

After all the 100m races it turns out that Gage had the fastest time out of 40 kids.  He also placed in the 200m as well but I think he might have had the fifth fastest time out of 32 kids.



As he prepped for his final races it was clear he was getting tired.  It was a long, hot day.  We had a pep talk and he decided that he could endure 12-13 seconds of pain if his Grandpa could endure all the pain he had gone through at the end of his life.

So as he walked away from me to run, he turned and said, "For Grandpa, mom!"  and gave me the thumbs up.  He ran for my dad...he walked away with the Gold medal.  I can't tell you how proud I was of him.  My heart was overflowing.  I was a blubbery, excited mess.   He placed 5th in the 200m, but by then, I think he was quite content with his pretty gold.




No comments:

Post a Comment