Sunday, December 12, 2010

9 vs. 90

This weekend the boys and I headed down with my parents on Friday to Windsor/Leamington to mainly celebrate my maternal Grandmother's 90th birthday.  We headed out Friday with the intention to stop in Windsor to visit my Uncle Larry who is in the hospital (per my last post) but because we stopped for food en route we were a little later arriving than we had originally planned.  And some how I got roped into immediately going with my mom and aunt to prepare food for the birthday party on Saturday...Five hours later...we headed over to visit Uncle Larry, who looked so much better than I was anticipating.  So I felt at ease following our hour long visit.  My aunt wasn't there, but I did get to speak with her on the phone and tell her I loved her. 

The next day was busy loading cars, getting the boys dressed and ready and heading into Leamington to set up the party room.  Roan (who is 9) was super stoked to be going to this party.  I'm not sure he fully understood that 90 year olds don't party like 9 year olds, but he seemed to enjoy himself with my cousins kids for the afternoon so that's all that mattered to him.  It was nice to see some of my mom's family (we don't often see them) again and catch up with them for the afternoon.

My Grandmother was in a lovely mood which was quite pleasant.  Don't get me wrong, my grandmother is a genuinely nice person.  She and I though don't have the most endearing relationship.  I'm a strong personality and she was raised to not be that way.  So we've clashed many many times throughout my life.  I have difficulty spending long periods of time with her.  My patience are limited and I'm easily frustrated.  Thankfully her hearing isn't strong.  haha  She has a tendency to be uber negative and non appreciative.  She has a habit of treating myself (and frankly everyone else, including my mother) like I'm a 5 year old.  So over the years I just find it easier to limit the time I spend with her.  However, all that being said she was so, so genuinely appreciative of all of the hard work everyone did to make this party happen and she was so pleased and proud that her family were all there.

Ninety years....I can't even imagine.  She's been blessed over all with decent health through the years and a good life.  She's still living relatively independently (in a retirement home, but not a nursing home), is still driving (though she's giving that up in February) and still has her lifelong best friend in her life.  My grandfather passed away over 5 years ago, so she finds time long without him but aside from that she's done well and is still doing well considering she's NINETY!

 At 19.

At 89.

Happy Birthday Grandma!  I hope you enjoyed your party.  You have earned it and deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment